Our Focus…and what it means to you
Most businesses spend from 2% – 10% of their gross income on their Total Cost of Risk. This cost includes:
- Administrative time dealing with risk, insurance, litigation and other matters
- Employees’ time spent on risk control matters, including contract review and negotiation, safety measures and post-accident response training, to name a few.
- Money spent or retained to resolve claims, both planned (insurance deductibles and self insured retention) and unplanned (unanticipated uninsured losses).
- Insurance premiums – estimated to be about 50% of the Total Cost of Risk.
We understand that the only way to reduce your Total Cost of Risk is to reduce the frequency and severity of the losses that drive these expenses. That’s why we have invested substantial resources to help our clients identify their exposures to loss and figure out ways to manage, control, retain or transfer those exposures.
Cavignac & Associates manages risk and negotiates insurance on your behalf. Our focus is to lower your “Total Cost of Risk” and drive more dollars to your bottom line. That’s the major reason we have grown from a one person start-up to a dynamic brokerage with more than 40 dedicated insurance professionals.
Our strategy is called the Risk Management Process. It involves four steps:
- Risk Analysis – Risk analysis involves a systematic review of exposures to loss and your existing insurance program. This process is based on our Exposure Analysis Checklist and the related materials required to help identify exposures to loss.
- Risk Control – Once risk is indentified, we collectively agree on the Risk Control techniques best suited to help reduce the frequency and severity of these risks. We indentify the most effective techniques through a series of questionnaires, risk control inspections, and a review of current risk control strategies.
- Risk Transfer – After the risk is indentified and Risk Control strategies are agreed upon, is it time to evaluate both non-insurance risk transfer (usually contractual) and insurance risk transfer. This involves preparation of the submission as well as deciding on a marketing strategy.
- Risk Review and Refinement – The Risk Management Process is a work in progress. It is constantly evolving based on the changing needs of each business. We continue to refine our strategies and stay on top of changes in your company so that we can proactively manage you Total Cost of Risk.
What this means to you: Your insurance premium is only one part of your Total Cost of Risk. Like most brokers, we sell insurance – although we prefer to say we negotiate insurance. But, unlike many brokers, we realize that the insurance transaction comes at the end of the risk management process, after we have figured out your exposures and determined which can be controlled or eliminated, which can be transferred to more appropriate parties and which can be retained. Only then do we approach the insurance market to negotiate the appropriate coverage with the right insurance company at the lowest realistic cost.
In the long run, the only way to reduce your Total Cost of Risk is to reduce your underlying losses. Our holistic Risk Management Process is designed to do exactly that.